Support Squad - They tried but I outsmarted them...
I got a call from these yahoo's and they stated that my PC was infected with a virus and that it was sending them data.I've been in IT for 15+ years so I immediately knew this was bunk.
However I wanted to see what they were up to so I played dumb. First they had me go to the Event Viewer to see how "Red X's" I have. I had 95 and they were flabbergasted! Next they wanted to remote into my PC so they could scan it.
I quickly fired up a virtual machine. It's a Windows 7 machine with all the patches and no 3rd party software installed. First they went into Task Manager and looked at the performance. He stated that the CPU should be running 80-90% and the 7% it was running was a result of being hacked.
Then they looked at the memory and said the utilization was too low and that caused internet slowness. Both of those statements are totally false. Next we looked at the services running on my machine. Some of them were stopped (which some should be).
He told me that they should all be running and the hacker had stopped them. Again, totally false. Next he copied a file to my PC so he scan my PC and see how infected it really is. He ran a file which I noticed was a vb script.
It stated I was infected with a virus and had been hacked by someone in NY. Finally he stated that my software warranty had expired and that I could simply renew it through their company. That's when I called him out. I told him he was actually in a VM (which he didn't understand) and that I was an IT Pro and I told him that he lied to me on each thing he pointed out.
He stated he did nothing illegal. I told him that they are deceiving people and are unethical. He kept back-pedaling stating he was doing nothing illegal even though I never mention legalities. I asked to talk to the CEO, but he was busy and would have to call me back.
Yeah right. I took a look at the vb script he copied to my PC and all it does is open a command prompt and echo that I've been hacked. They can't even write a script to make it look like it was scanning something.
Pathetic.If you're going to scam people, put a little more effort in to it.bf183de
You may also like
- "I bought the hearthfire and dawnguard add ons for skyrim on ps3 I've got past the required quest to get dawnguard followers but no dialogue to do that, can't..."
- "TREND MICRO CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS TERRIBLE AND THEY HAVE NO INTEREST IN NON CORPORATE CONSUMERS BEWARE!!! The A/V works well but â€¦......... My credit card was stolen..."
- "purchased both the script and install. They provided a script with no instruction manual so there's no way to know how to use this complex web script. Then they went..."
- "My Husband experience is to say the least 'SAD'. My order # 9163244 was all rubbish. The two Sara Margin two looked 'used and cheap' colours are faded. The..."
- "I had a high end Electrolux dishwasher (5 years old) that needed a new pump. I purchased one thru Electrolux that took 10 days to arrive and it arrived with..."
- "I ordered from Domino's Store (3653): 328 Myrtle Ave. Brooklyn NY 11205 | 718-522-3733. The most Horrible pizza I have ever had. Made dry and disgusting with no sauce or..."
- "Robert Goldstein, Kenneth Munson, and Ed Kohl are responsible for ignoring the law and violating the rights of disabled and elderly members of Community Care Inc. The law is very..."
- "I recently purchased an Echo GT-225 string trimmer based on product reviews in Consumer Reports. Most reviewers disliked the trimmer head, strings frequently broke and had to be replaced,..."
- "We purchased a Kenmore Dishwasher (Model 665.13732K601) when we remodeled approximately 4 years ago. The dishwasher has done a good job cleaning, but after the first year the buttons..."