Support Squad - They tried but I outsmarted them...
I got a call from these yahoo's and they stated that my PC was infected with a virus and that it was sending them data.I've been in IT for 15+ years so I immediately knew this was bunk.
However I wanted to see what they were up to so I played dumb. First they had me go to the Event Viewer to see how "Red X's" I have. I had 95 and they were flabbergasted! Next they wanted to remote into my PC so they could scan it.
I quickly fired up a virtual machine. It's a Windows 7 machine with all the patches and no 3rd party software installed. First they went into Task Manager and looked at the performance. He stated that the CPU should be running 80-90% and the 7% it was running was a result of being hacked.
Then they looked at the memory and said the utilization was too low and that caused internet slowness. Both of those statements are totally false. Next we looked at the services running on my machine. Some of them were stopped (which some should be).
He told me that they should all be running and the hacker had stopped them. Again, totally false. Next he copied a file to my PC so he scan my PC and see how infected it really is. He ran a file which I noticed was a vb script.
It stated I was infected with a virus and had been hacked by someone in NY. Finally he stated that my software warranty had expired and that I could simply renew it through their company. That's when I called him out. I told him he was actually in a VM (which he didn't understand) and that I was an IT Pro and I told him that he lied to me on each thing he pointed out.
He stated he did nothing illegal. I told him that they are deceiving people and are unethical. He kept back-pedaling stating he was doing nothing illegal even though I never mention legalities. I asked to talk to the CEO, but he was busy and would have to call me back.
Yeah right. I took a look at the vb script he copied to my PC and all it does is open a command prompt and echo that I've been hacked. They can't even write a script to make it look like it was scanning something.
Pathetic.If you're going to scam people, put a little more effort in to it.review #482843
You may also like
- "I went to an online chat with one of their tech. reps. after about an hour of looking for the answer through Google and Microsoft's tips/help section, for a problem..."
- "Techincept Consulting Inc. is providing SAP BPC Online Training. Contact Techincept Consulting Inc. at 310-956-1113 or @ email@example.com or www.techincept.com for more details regarding the SAP BPC Online Training These are..."
- "Hello my names Edita Toric I'm writting because I either want to sue or get someone fired because I never in my life felt so disrespected, I don't know who..."
- "Stay the *** away. Ordered a LP156WH1 (TL) (C1) LCD screen. It's a Phillips screen. $155.11. They ship a Samsung LTN156AT01. They said it's compatible. Can't tell you it's defective!..."
- "To whom it may concern, about BLUEHIPPO (***)I have repeatedly tried to call every number listed on your site during business hours and sent numerous customer service requests to no..."
- "Our Bissell vacuum burned gray marks into three parts of our carpet. We were using the hose attachment to clean our couch and moved the vacuum three times as we..."
- "Yesterday (July 3) found a 25 inch mailing tube--Priority mail-- left in my 18 inch mailboxwith the door open. Appeared to be my regular contract carrier. Found it about..."
- "This was my second guided tour I have ever taken and this trip was excellent. It was very fast paced which caused many of us to be a little tired..."
- "Well well. My shaadi id is SH42277392 and Everyone needs to read what happened to me. Joined this *** website shaadi.com hoping to find a wife. Submitted a photo id..."