Support Squad - They tried but I outsmarted them...
I got a call from these yahoo's and they stated that my PC was infected with a virus and that it was sending them data.I've been in IT for 15+ years so I immediately knew this was bunk.
However I wanted to see what they were up to so I played dumb. First they had me go to the Event Viewer to see how "Red X's" I have. I had 95 and they were flabbergasted! Next they wanted to remote into my PC so they could scan it.
I quickly fired up a virtual machine. It's a Windows 7 machine with all the patches and no 3rd party software installed. First they went into Task Manager and looked at the performance. He stated that the CPU should be running 80-90% and the 7% it was running was a result of being hacked.
Then they looked at the memory and said the utilization was too low and that caused internet slowness. Both of those statements are totally false. Next we looked at the services running on my machine. Some of them were stopped (which some should be).
He told me that they should all be running and the hacker had stopped them. Again, totally false. Next he copied a file to my PC so he scan my PC and see how infected it really is. He ran a file which I noticed was a vb script.
It stated I was infected with a virus and had been hacked by someone in NY. Finally he stated that my software warranty had expired and that I could simply renew it through their company. That's when I called him out. I told him he was actually in a VM (which he didn't understand) and that I was an IT Pro and I told him that he lied to me on each thing he pointed out.
He stated he did nothing illegal. I told him that they are deceiving people and are unethical. He kept back-pedaling stating he was doing nothing illegal even though I never mention legalities. I asked to talk to the CEO, but he was busy and would have to call me back.
Yeah right. I took a look at the vb script he copied to my PC and all it does is open a command prompt and echo that I've been hacked. They can't even write a script to make it look like it was scanning something.
Pathetic.If you're going to scam people, put a little more effort in to it.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "**Sept 14 2014 Click4Support called today and said they would not be billing my credit card for the $1200. They offered an additional gift certificate for the "inconvenience"..."
- "I purchased intuit TurboTax Deductions and Homeowners Deluxe, for $50. I was forced to upgrade to next level to get Schedule D, for an additional $30. If I want to e-file State..."
- "Atom Park - Scam Company - Big Fraud - I purchased the Atomic Mail Sender software from this company. I am from india, they are offering indian customer INR 3099...."
- "I purchased several cans of this item on 3/21/2015 and opened the first can today and this is what I found!!!! It has an expiration date of 4/26/2016 as well!..."
- "I signed up to have my paychecks deposited on the Chase Paycard. I was assured that it could be used online and that I could pay bills with it. I..."
- "I ordered three refurbished 10W iPad chargers. The products shipped quickly, the day after ordering, and arrived five days later. Unfortunately, they all arrived in non-working condition. All generated the same..."
- "I am so upset with this company...I spent over $100 in a large basket with next day delivery. It was not shipped until three days after my order. Upon delivery,..."
- "I ordered a formal dress for my daughter's Junior/Senior Prom. The dress is gorgeous, it is Navy Blue with a beaded cream color neckline that swoops up and buttons on..."
- "Bryan the front desk person at 6:00 AM was belligerent and condescending. He should NEVER be in the hospitality business. NO ONE should EVER be treated the way I..."