Support Squad - They tried but I outsmarted them...
I got a call from these yahoo's and they stated that my PC was infected with a virus and that it was sending them data.I've been in IT for 15+ years so I immediately knew this was bunk.
However I wanted to see what they were up to so I played dumb. First they had me go to the Event Viewer to see how "Red X's" I have. I had 95 and they were flabbergasted! Next they wanted to remote into my PC so they could scan it.
I quickly fired up a virtual machine. It's a Windows 7 machine with all the patches and no 3rd party software installed. First they went into Task Manager and looked at the performance. He stated that the CPU should be running 80-90% and the 7% it was running was a result of being hacked.
Then they looked at the memory and said the utilization was too low and that caused internet slowness. Both of those statements are totally false. Next we looked at the services running on my machine. Some of them were stopped (which some should be).
He told me that they should all be running and the hacker had stopped them. Again, totally false. Next he copied a file to my PC so he scan my PC and see how infected it really is. He ran a file which I noticed was a vb script.
It stated I was infected with a virus and had been hacked by someone in NY. Finally he stated that my software warranty had expired and that I could simply renew it through their company. That's when I called him out. I told him he was actually in a VM (which he didn't understand) and that I was an IT Pro and I told him that he lied to me on each thing he pointed out.
He stated he did nothing illegal. I told him that they are deceiving people and are unethical. He kept back-pedaling stating he was doing nothing illegal even though I never mention legalities. I asked to talk to the CEO, but he was busy and would have to call me back.
Yeah right. I took a look at the vb script he copied to my PC and all it does is open a command prompt and echo that I've been hacked. They can't even write a script to make it look like it was scanning something.
Pathetic.If you're going to scam people, put a little more effort in to it.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "So in January I bought an account for Destiny Digital Guardian Edition for Xbox One off these ***. I played this game for nearly 4 months. One day I am..."
- "Bought PC Speedscan Pro, before they would turn it on I got a tech/salesman who that told me they needed access my PC to install, had me download a..."
- "Stopzilla came onto my computer without my knowing or permission and have sinse been advertising FREE of charge then try have blocked me looking at my own work on websites..."
- "To whom it may concern, about BLUEHIPPO (***)I have repeatedly tried to call every number listed on your site during business hours and sent numerous customer service requests to no..."
- "I ordered three refurbished 10W iPad chargers. The products shipped quickly, the day after ordering, and arrived five days later. Unfortunately, they all arrived in non-working condition. All generated the same..."
- "Diet Pepsi cans exploded in refrigerator. So all things in the refrigerator were messed up. When our family heard that sound, it seemed like sound from gun shot. So I tried to..."
- "Hi, there! I wanted to let you know that I received my wig just yesterday. The package was kept fine and the moment I opened the box, I loved the..."
- "go there one a month FOREVER and get one sandwich that is not what it should be and they argued with me...their social media argued with me...I didn't want a..."
- "I keep seeing all of these negative reviews about Scentsy so I feel I have to step in a defend this company. 1 year ago I had no idea what..."