Support Squad - They tried but I outsmarted them...
I got a call from these yahoo's and they stated that my PC was infected with a virus and that it was sending them data.I've been in IT for 15+ years so I immediately knew this was bunk.
However I wanted to see what they were up to so I played dumb. First they had me go to the Event Viewer to see how "Red X's" I have. I had 95 and they were flabbergasted! Next they wanted to remote into my PC so they could scan it.
I quickly fired up a virtual machine. It's a Windows 7 machine with all the patches and no 3rd party software installed. First they went into Task Manager and looked at the performance. He stated that the CPU should be running 80-90% and the 7% it was running was a result of being hacked.
Then they looked at the memory and said the utilization was too low and that caused internet slowness. Both of those statements are totally false. Next we looked at the services running on my machine. Some of them were stopped (which some should be).
He told me that they should all be running and the hacker had stopped them. Again, totally false. Next he copied a file to my PC so he scan my PC and see how infected it really is. He ran a file which I noticed was a vb script.
It stated I was infected with a virus and had been hacked by someone in NY. Finally he stated that my software warranty had expired and that I could simply renew it through their company. That's when I called him out. I told him he was actually in a VM (which he didn't understand) and that I was an IT Pro and I told him that he lied to me on each thing he pointed out.
He stated he did nothing illegal. I told him that they are deceiving people and are unethical. He kept back-pedaling stating he was doing nothing illegal even though I never mention legalities. I asked to talk to the CEO, but he was busy and would have to call me back.
Yeah right. I took a look at the vb script he copied to my PC and all it does is open a command prompt and echo that I've been hacked. They can't even write a script to make it look like it was scanning something.
Pathetic.If you're going to scam people, put a little more effort in to it.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "purchased both the script and install. They provided a script with no instruction manual so there's no way to know how to use this complex web script. Then they went..."
- "As (owner of City Lights Bar & Grill) inLas Vegas. I have been experiencing major problems with The Touchsuite POS system. I have never witness anything Like this in my 18..."
- "I purchased intuit TurboTax Deductions and Homeowners Deluxe, for $50. I was forced to upgrade to next level to get Schedule D, for an additional $30. If I want to e-file State..."
- "To whom it may concern, about BLUEHIPPO (***)I have repeatedly tried to call every number listed on your site during business hours and sent numerous customer service requests to no..."
- "Stay the *** away. Ordered a LP156WH1 (TL) (C1) LCD screen. It's a Phillips screen. $155.11. They ship a Samsung LTN156AT01. They said it's compatible. Can't tell you it's defective!..."
- "I found out like many other associates of mine that they National Hole in One Insurance of Dallas Texas have been ripping off clients for years and when it became..."
- "On January 20, 2016 we saw a feature of the Fin Bed on The Today Show's "Steals and Deals" segment. We purchased a king size bed for $749 ($200 off..."
- "only three days after signing you have to get a refund. but over a week before you see the any results of what you paying for they don't tell you its..."
- "I'm a California customer. I made an online payment on 5/25/2016 for $102.57 and it charged me that amount 16 times instead of 1. I got an alert from my..."