I got a call from these yahoo's and they stated that my PC was infected with a virus and that it was sending them data.I've been in IT for 15+ years so I immediately knew this was bunk.
However I wanted to see what they were up to so I played dumb. First they had me go to the Event Viewer to see how "Red X's" I have. I had 95 and they were flabbergasted! Next they wanted to remote into my PC so they could scan it.
I quickly fired up a virtual machine. It's a Windows 7 machine with all the patches and no 3rd party software installed. First they went into Task Manager and looked at the performance. He stated that the CPU should be running 80-90% and the 7% it was running was a result of being hacked.
Then they looked at the memory and said the utilization was too low and that caused internet slowness. Both of those statements are totally false. Next we looked at the services running on my machine. Some of them were stopped (which some should be).
He told me that they should all be running and the hacker had stopped them. Again, totally false. Next he copied a file to my PC so he scan my PC and see how infected it really is. He ran a file which I noticed was a vb script.
It stated I was infected with a virus and had been hacked by someone in NY. Finally he stated that my software warranty had expired and that I could simply renew it through their company. That's when I called him out. I told him he was actually in a VM (which he didn't understand) and that I was an IT Pro and I told him that he lied to me on each thing he pointed out.
He stated he did nothing illegal. I told him that they are deceiving people and are unethical. He kept back-pedaling stating he was doing nothing illegal even though I never mention legalities. I asked to talk to the CEO, but he was busy and would have to call me back.
Yeah right. I took a look at the vb script he copied to my PC and all it does is open a command prompt and echo that I've been hacked. They can't even write a script to make it look like it was scanning something.
Pathetic.If you're going to scam people, put a little more effort in to it.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Computer Check
- Review category
PissedConsumer.com is operating in read-only mode, users cannot make any changes to the information, publish comments or reviews.
You May Also Like
- "The license key for my Norton Utilities 14.5 will no longer activate my copy of the program when I once again install the program on my computer rebuilt with a..."
- "Claimed to be from Microsoft and my computer was locked by Microsoft. Not true since we restarted the computer and it worked fine. I have sent the case to Microsoft and..."
- "Poshmark has sellers download apps on mobile devices to sell their goods. I did this and Poshmark published my Apple ID password as my user ID on the site. There..."
- "Stay the *** away. Ordered a LP156WH1 (TL) (C1) LCD screen. It's a Phillips screen. $155.11. They ship a Samsung LTN156AT01. They said it's compatible. Can't tell you it's defective!..."
- "I purchased several cans of this item on 3/21/2015 and opened the first can today and this is what I found!!!! It has an expiration date of 4/26/2016 as well!..."
- "I ordered Frieze carpet from Empire. The sales guy specifically mentioned that Empire takes care of their customers. "One lady didn't like her carpet so Empire replaced it..."
- "I lost 75 lbs and it feels like 100 lbs. I couldn't have done it without the Roca Labs regimen.It was so easy to do. Those who say it doesn't..."
- "I waited a month for my package to never come then when i said i was opening a dispute for my refund he himself changed original arrive by date from..."
- "They do not respect lifetime warranty. I bought these HID Low and High beam. I did had a replacement about a year after I bought. And next year after still do..."